- The Village of Sayler Park, formerly called Home City, was annexed to Cincinnati in 1911.
- Accordingly, the village school district was annexed to the City of Cincinnati School District, and the school was officially taken over by the Cincinnati Board of Education on the 1st of January, 1912. At that time there was an elementary school and a high school, both conducted in one building, the one which was abandoned for school purposes several years ago.
- This school stood upon the site which had been used for school purposes for many years.The original frame building of three rooms having been supplanted in 1883 by a two-story brick building of eight rooms, to which an addition was built in 1900 consisting of two rooms on the first floor and an auditorium on the second.
- A high school was conducted from 1896 until 1912, at which time the school was closed and the Sayler Park pupils were assigned to Hughes.
- During its life, the high school was attended by 313 boys and girls, of whom 102 graduated.
- The site for the new school was purchased on Home City Avenue at the corner of Elco. The lot 210 x 810 feet cost $12,150.
- The building, planned by Tietig and Lee, Cincinnati architects who had planned a number of public schools in the city, was completed at a cost of approximately $350,000.
- The building contains the standard equipment of an elementary school in Cincinnati, there being fourteen classrooms of typical design, with movable furniture, built-in cabinets and other equipment, kindergarten, auditorium-gymnasium, a two-class-room assembly room, lunch room, household arts room, industrial arts room, health room, and offices.
- The building was occupied at the opening of the school year in September, 1929, but had been used the preceding June for the closing exercises of the eighth grade class of the previous school year.
History of Sayler Park Community
- The community of Sayler Park is composed of three separate villages: Delhi on the Ohio, Home City, and Fernbank.
- In 1909 the village of Home City was officially renamed Sayler Park in honor of its first Mayor, Nelson Sayler.
- The Sayler home, "A Forest of Arden,” was a well known landmark until the April 3, 1974 tornado. It was so named because of its owners' love for Shakespeare.
- The community was annexed to Cincinnati in June 3, 1911.
- Sayler Park developed around the 1840's when a one-mile race track was set up around a pre-historic Indian mound.
- The people used the mound, a 100 by 200 foot oval, as the grandstand to watch the races.
- The first store opened in 1852.
- It was not until the railroad was constructed along the river between 1857 and 1863 that the town began to grow.